Migrate your On-premises Oracle to Azure
Before cloud services made a huge impact on IT sectors a considerable number of medium and large-scale organizations were utilizing the on-premise Oracle database as part of their IT stack. Out of those many are still using the on-premise database version.
As the size of organizational data increases, their database ecosystem starts to get stretched, needs better management, higher storage, and processing power that increases the overall cost. With this increased data size, many organizations find it difficult to maintain their databases at optimum costs while addressing the increasing complexity.
They need a platform that will provide improved performance and operational benefits. Hence, here comes Microsoft Azure into the picture. In this article, we will discuss steps to migrate Oracle to Azure.
This technology migration requires good planning, thoroughness, and processes as any software or hardware project. The on-premise Oracle to Azure migration is a 3-phase approach.
Oracle Database Migration Process:
As a database migration services provider, we follow best practices in end-to-end migration which can be distributed in three phases and where each phase consists of one or more activities. The three phases in Azure are Pre-migration, Migration, and Post-migration.
The Pre-migration phase:
Migrating on-premises Oracle database to Azure phase has mainly three activities; 1) Analysis, 2) Discover, 3) Assess and Convert. All three are important to prepare a plan for a successful migration.
- Analysis: Verifies the source and target environment feasibility for commencing the migration. Also, you can utilize the Azure Total Cost of Ownership calculator to estimate the cost savings by migrating workloads to Azure.
- Discover: to identify the existing data source and details about the features that are being used to prepare a plan for the migration.
- Assess and Convert – The Assess activity is to assess any gap between the source Oracle database and the target Azure SQL Database. This can be achieved using the SSMA tool; to review database objects and data, assess Oracle database objects, migrate Oracle DB objects to Azure SQL Db, and finally, migrate the data to Azure SQL Database. The Convert activity performs schema conversion. Once the schema conversion is done, to identify the gaps it compares and reviews the structure of the schema.
Note* The Convert activity is required in heterogeneous migration schema and to convert the source schema to work in the target schema.
The Migration phase:
Azure cloud migration involves publishing the schema and data migration. SSMA is the tool to achieve this. This phase has three activities namely, 1) Publish Schema, 2) Data Migration, 3) Data Sync. All three are important for successful migration and to decide the cutover from the source to the target environment.
- Publish Schema: Publishing the schema to the target Azure SQL DB using the SSMA tool. SSMA provides a method to assess the source and target schemas offline and make necessary changes before publishing the schema to Azure.
- Data Migration: After successfully publishing the schema, the further activity is to migrate source data to the target DB.
- Data Sync: These steps confirm that all changes in the source are captured and transferred to the target immediately.
After the migration process we ensure that everything is functioning efficiently and for that, there are three activities: 1) Validation, 2) Application Remediation, 3) Performance Validation and Optimization.
- Validation: Validate the DB migration is completed and data has migrated to the target environment.
- Application Remediation: To make sure that all the required changes to the app after the data is migrated to the target environment. It is expected the app should start using the data from the target environment after migration.
- Performance validation and optimization: to deal with data accuracy issues and to take care of performance issues.
For any successful technology migration, a defined approach and solid plan are required.
TabExp is one of those Successful Organization where we have a specific approach to the oracle database migration challenges and requirements, we go by a phase by phase approach starting from Cloud Readiness Assessment to building prototype for migration as a Pilot Mode, Strategizing, Migrating and then Optimizing according to the requirement. Contact us for flawless on-premises oracle database migration to Azure cloud.
Our Recent Posts
There are several proven benefits of moving the existing e-commerce solution to a cloud-based platform like Microsoft Azure. It helps in enabling scalability, offering 24/7 accessibility to the customers, and making it simpler to integrate the advanced cloud computing
From the very first phase of Discovery to the very last Phase of Migration in Cloud Computing, TabExp ensures seamless and uninterrupted Cloud Migration handled by Cloud experts.
The final phase is the Migration phase in Cloud readiness assessment. In this phase, the process moves the data, applications, and other business prerequisites to a reliable cloud computing environment.